Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

In which I'll probably ramble some more.

Yesterday, I got a little bored. I decided to take a break from the schoolwork I was doing, because I had time for it later. I did not (*gasp*) go immediately for my Zune or for a book I'm currently reading (btw, if you're interested, "Sapphique" by Catherine Fisher and "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury.

Instead, even though I've been so frustrated with the story I started (that seemed like such a brilliant idea at the time. scoff.), that I've been kind of turned off of writing anything that involves a piece of glitter worth of creativity, I opened the idea notebook. I have a notebook (although there are several notebooks that contain ideas of the same sort.) where there are many ideas (*obvious*). Alright, I'll elaborate. The notebook is filled with one to three line ideas, usually plots, sometimes a character, sometimes a jumble of words that made me think of a story, for a novel, short-story, or poem that I want to write sometime, when I feel like it- or any kind of creative idea that I think is worth more then forgetting.

I had this idea a while ago for a dystopian novel. It was one I've been thinking about for a really long time. Think before The Hunger Games really, really took off and started to get the YA market saturated with books about dystopian societies (i.e... recently/coming up: Matched, Memento Nora, Wither, Those That Wake, Divergent, Bumped; Ashes,Ashes). NOTE: I love dystopia books. That's why I got the idea in the first place, although I hadn't read as many of them back then. That's why I started the idea in the first place. That's how most/the entire plot got worked out initially, back then. I think they're awesome. I usually love them, and all the ones that I've read I've pretty much loved, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying there's a lot of them now.

I started writing it. However rough of a draft it is, I didn't spend very long on it and it still went over 7500 words yesterday. I don't think it's professional or anything. I do like it though, and I'm having fun with it. I actually want to keep writing it. I haven't faced major writing block yet. Usually the first bit of that attacks me when I reach about 3000 words. It happens fast. It's the time when I start to abandon ideas because I don't enjoy them anymore. I'm going to keep working on it.

I'm enjoying it a lot just because the feeling that I have to write it hasn't set it yet. There's no pressure for it, it's not for NaNoWriMo or school or because anyone told me I should. I like the story. It's something I'd want to read. Maybe someday, I'll achieve an ultimate goal of publishing it and being an actual professional author lady. Or maybe I'll just finish it and feel good because I did. Either way, I'm going to keep going, and I think everyone should realize that it's good for them to do things like this. Whether you like to write, make music, or do any kind of art, you should do what you enjoy and be inspired. It's an awesome feeling.

/end ramble.

3 comments:

Linda (Cat) said...

P.S... sometimes Mtn Dew helps.

Sharon said...

:D

Good luck with your book! I can't really offer very much advice with the whole "writing block" thing... but good luck! :)

Linda (Cat) said...

Aww thanks!

Yeah. I don't think anyone has fool-proof advice for that :P