Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

somebody, anybody (what's the body count and where are all the zombies?)

(alternately/sensibly titled: my irrational dislike for the words 'somebody' and 'anybody')

Anyone. Someone.
Don't those just sound BETTER to you than:
Anybody. Somebody.

When I read the latter two words, I think of BODIES. Not people as in 'one' or things as in 'one' or personalities as in 'one'. I think of bodies. Probably the dead sort or those taken over by the zombie virus that aren't actually people anymore. I can't stand it! I think the same way when people say it too; reading it is even worse for me.

This might be completely irrational on my part-- I don't know anyone (notice. anyONE.) else that dislikes those words so much. I know several people who think that 'anyone' and 'someone' truly do sound more eloquent, but I know no one else that seems to -if one can feel so strongly towards a word*- HATE them.

Tell me. What do you think of the words 'somebody' and 'anybody' in relation to dead bodies, zombies, or personal preference?

*if anyone feels that strongly about words; I would be one of those people. The written word resonates with me --whether reading them or writing them.

No comments: