Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Don't ask a homeschooler...

When homeschoolers meet new people they brace themselves for the question.
Where do you go to school?
It's not that we aren't proud to be home educated, because most of us are. We're happy with it. The problem is, then there are usually more questions in varying degrees of mean, naivety, and pervasiveness. Basically, a lot of people can be ridiculous or ironic with their questions; sometimes mean, and sometimes not intentionally.

There are other people on the internet that have covered this, I'm sure, and homeschool stereotypes and prejudice are another topic entirely, but I'm going to talk about some of the questions I've been asked. Feel free to comment ones you've been asked and talk about the awkward that is: *dundundun* when you tell people you're a homeschooler. Also, check out The Homeschooled Hedgehog which I did not create but absolutely adore.
  • Why?
No. Just no. This question. The awkward! It's overwhelming. There are a lot of reasons people are homeschooled and some of them are really personal or simply lengthy to explain. Additionally, that's a little bit (a lot, if you're just meeting the person) mostly none of your business.
  • So, what grade are you in?
I'm generally okay with this one, and it's not too weird of a question to ask. However, do realize that a lot of homeschoolers don't use terms like 5th grade and 7th grade unless they're high school aged or if it's for paperwork; a lot of homeschoolers are across the board.
  • Do you have any friends? (aka: You aren't socialized!)
My favorite time to get asked this question is when I'm out with my friends. Seriously. Wow. Do I honestly need to say why this isn't a good question to ask? If I do can you please just think about it for a second?
  •  Are you, like, super smart or something?
No. Neither are you. Go away. No, but seriously, that's also overly personal, and an incorrect assumption. I know lots of other homeschoolers who are 'average' or below average. It happens. Bottom Line: Homeschooled DOES NOT EQUAL anything in particular: academically, socially, stylistically, or personally-- usually.
  • Is your mom a saint or something!?
Let's talk about subtext, folks. That implies to things: 1) I'm a hoodlum. 2) Homeschooling is something only a saint-like person can do, which basically implies that it is so ridiculously hard that no one should attempt it. Basically.
  • Who teaches you, though?
I facepalm to this one, but I really shouldn't, actually. It's confusing and complicated. Like I said, it's different for everyone, but the average answer you'll get is: "my mom." and a very *duh why didn't you know that one* kind of expression. However, there are exceptions. Some people are schooled by their dads only, or both their parents, or a hired teacher, or online programs from the public school system or a private company. Also, I've found that as I've gotten older that answer has gotten more complicated. My mom *isn't* the only one teaching me anymore, so that's a lie. Many high school aged homeschool students go to co-ops, their local community college, or take courses online through colleges or companies-- some even opt to do stuff at their local high school.

There are lots more. Again, feel free to comment your experiences. I suggest that you don't ask any of the above questions, or respond with any of the below statements, especially if you've just met the homeschooled person. (I feel like I shouldn't have to say that. :P) Here are some general statements, other than mean things which I need not mention, that you also shouldn't respond with.
  • But you seem(ed) SO NORMAL! (Also: but you seemed so socialized!)
Thank you. Really. >.<
  • No. Way.
Okay. I'm not a unicorn. It's completely logical/not that out of the ordinary that I'm homeschooled. Really.
  • OHHHH. I have a friend/cousin/friend of a friend/long lost second cousin twice removed that was/is homeschooled, you know them right!!
The National Center for Education Statistics reported (last in 2007) that there were approximately 1.5 million home educated (not schooled at public/private schools, schooled at home) in the United States. Additionally, with that report, the percentage of school aged children who were schooled at home as opposed to traditional schooling raised from 2.2% (reported in 2003) to 2.9%. I don't know about you, but I don't know 1.5 million people. So while it is *possible* that I know your long lost second cousin twice removed, it is relatively unlikely.

Anyway, like I said, there are so many more of these situations. I just randomly felt like posting about some of them. Thanks for reading! 

3 comments:

Angela said...

The weirdest question I've been asked?
"If you're a liberal, why do you homeschool? O_o"
...Obviously you've forgotten the first Homeschool stereotype, the rainbow Wiccan space elf. Harrumph.

"Do you ever get out of the house?" Ironically, people generally ask this while I'm talking to them at... GS/Piano recitals/Swim lessons/Camp/the library/at a museum/at church/at Val's violin/etc.
No. Never. I happen to LIVE at my piano teacher's house. What do you think?!

And, the weirdest? Valerie was actually asked this at her confirmation group... "Does your mom, like, lock you in your room all day or something?"
... no comment.

Rose said...

i sort of wish i WAS homeschooled...it sounds interesting. then again, i go to a great school which i would never trade EVER! :) ILOVEYOURBLOGsoimfollowing(pleasecheckoutmine???) :L thanks for a truly awesome post ~<3
Rose x

Kiki Masterson said...

I know somepeople that are home schooled and your right. They're the same as public or private schooled people!!!!!! I was wondering though, why is it that Moms usually teach home schoolers?????