Thursday is Thanksgiving in the United States; a day when most Americans gather around a table with loved ones and eat too much food and sometimes watch a football game and hopefully, among the chaos, remember to be thankful for those around them and the meal and the little things.
In my family, Thanksgiving is as big of a deal as any. We're going to my grandmother's house and helping her cook a giant meal and then we all sit around the table: my aunts, uncle, cousins, parents, and grandmother; and all get along super well even though we're like one of those dysfunctional families that people make the usually independent dark comedy sorts of films about. We don't usually watch football, but we usually watch the dog show. We all talk and laugh and when we're cooking there's usually some kind of minor or major disaster but it's all good. It goes on until the whole thing dissolves humorously (in a tragic kind of way) into political arguments or stories from the past that (normally my aunt(s) and my dad) are still debating the details on. It's a fun time.
Anyway. In light of Thanksgiving, as usual, I think about the things I'm thankful for. Here's some...
-My family. As I mentioned before, we have a tendency to be dysfunctional, but we all get along and we're all there for each other when it comes down to it. I love my family!
-My friends. My friends are amazing. Old ones and new; they're all some of the most different, occasionally crazy, thoughtful, funny, intelligent, and awesome people around. I'm thankful for my friends and the fact that they try to be there for me as I try to be for them and I love them!
-All the little things I take for granted. House, food, bed, all that business. :)
-Music and literature for my enjoyment, some of my favorite things. That also kind of counts as a 'thing I take for granted'...
-Classes and homeschooling and such. I'm thankful that I live in a place where that kind of 'non-traditional' type of education is allowed and that my mom wants to teach me and that I can take classes outside of the house and all of those opportunities. Maybe I'm just thankful for learning! (Even when it's hard. Ha. :P) Also I'm thankful for the (too short) Thanksgiving break. hahahaha! (Another 'thing I take for granted' sometimes.. Actually most of these are. Also kind of inspired by this article (especially the comments) because it made me like O_o)
Anyway. To wrap up this post, a question: What are you all doing this Thanksgiving? Also: HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I hope it's lovely. :)
1 comment:
Happy Thanksgiving! I went up to my grandparents' house. It was pretty fun. And I am thankful for (among lots of other things)cranberries. Without them white shirts may never be stained.
~Veela
Post a Comment