Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: 10 Girls from Books that I would like to slap.

Top Ten Tuesday is an awesome weekly meme by The Broke and the Bookish blog, where there's a book-related topic and you put your top ten things for that topic in your blog post. It's usually done on book blogs but not always and I'm  not into clogging up Books4Hearts (not that everyone 'clogs up' they're blog by doing memes, they're not bad or anything) with memes.


This week's topic is Girl Characters from Books that you would like to slap/Mean Girls. I'm sticking with the characters I'd just like to slap, talk sense into, etc...

 SO, in no particular order:

  1. Bella Swan from "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Twilight. I actually liked it when I first read the first book AGES ago, but then I realized there were so many better YA books out there, and then realized it wasn't that good after all. My problem with Bella is not the Twilight series itself, it's that she's a character that's a girl that blatantly refuses to stand on her own. She always needs help facing every situation and is so hopelessly focused on Edward that it becomes more important than everything else in her life. For example, in Twilight when Edward leaves, she becomes practically suicidal and feels worthless. I'm sorry, but she needs SOMEONE to slap sense into her and tell her that he 100 year old boyfriend is NOT her entire life.
  2. Katniss Everdeen from "The Hunger Games" trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I love, love, LOVE the Hunger Games trilogy. I like Katniss, but she's not my favorite. My big problem with her is that she's a strong female character but at the same time, kind of like Bella, she tends to lose herself to love sometimes, and also, she doesn't appreciate Peeta and Gale. They're both great guys and they're totally in love with her, yet there's lots of times where she treats them like crap. She does that to a lot of people in the series, actually. That, and it's her logic. Bella also has this problem. Sometimes, it's like, where the heck did you get that idea? Why would you do that?!?? Also: You picked Peeta.
  3. Cho Chang from the "Harry Potter" series by J.K. Rowling. I can never get over the obnoxious emotional-ness of Cho, most of all, when she get's all stupid and mean to Harry because she thinks there's something going on between him and Hermione. I was like, THEY'RE JUST FRIENDS, DARNIT. I mean, Harry could have handled the whole thing better, like explaining to Cho WHY they needed to meet Hermione but STILL. If he and Hermione wanted to go on a date or kiss or WHATEVER they wouldn't have invited you. Duh. 
  4. Daisy from "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. In short, you couldn't have thought the results would be good when you started seeing your ex-boyfriend, while still married to your (albeit dishonest and a total jerk himself) husband. Did you think that Tom would never catch on? Did you think that neither of them would care? Duh, again.
  5. Kat from "Heist Society" by Ally Carter. Just, please be nicer to Hale. He pretty much deserves it. You know it too! I'm not ever going to smack you.
  6. Sophie from "Hex Hall" by Rachel Hawkins. Sophie's cool but... more judgment that I'd call debatable. Also, Archer may be hot but he's kind of a jerk to you, and I just don't buy the whole, all of a sudden he's totally the nicest guy ever thing. Don't lose yourself in a crush on a guy that might not be good for you. I'm calling it Bella syndrom.
  7.  All the girls from "The Clique" series by Lisa Harrison Look, I hardly read a few pages of the first of these books, ages ago, before I was just like, OH NO. All these girls. They're just soo.... ughhh! I don't even think I need to write anymore. Read a description of those books. They're pretty straight-forward, for me, anyway.
  8. Pretty much every girl/woman other than Lena in "Beautiful Creatures" by Kami Garcia&Margaret Stole. Actually, pretty much every other person in that place that's just part of the Gaitlin high school or community. Not all of them. Just a lot. And that's the point but, GOSH. 
That's pretty much all... I can't think of two more people. They're out there. I'm sure I've read of them. I'm sure they annoyed me. But in short, those are the peoples!

9 comments:

Sarah W. said...

Great post!!!

Bella drives me crazy too... I liked the series overall. Then I noticed that Meyer was teaching young girls that read Twilight that it is ok to shut down if a boy breaks up with you. Bella really needed priorities and balance in her life!! Drives me nuts.

I want to add Zoey from the House of Night Series to this!! She has WAY too much boy drama...JUST PICK ONE! It's so bad that it has actually kept me from pursuing the series further.

-Sarah
Inklings Read.

Anonymous said...

OMG, thank god someone agrees with me about bella! SHe's a pain in the arse!!

Sarah, I quit the HON series too..

Linda (Cat) said...

Sarah, that's exactly it! And thank you! Yeah, I mean, you can't just do that if your 100 year old bf breaks up with you... :P

I haven't read the HoN series, but I've heard it's not very good.

Sarah W. said...

I really enjoyed the first couple books.... but it kind of went downhill from there :/

I wish it hadn't because it's a great concept! Basically a harry potter with vampires!

-Sarah
Inklings Read.

Lark Andrea said...

Great list. We have Bella in common. I am a new follower. :)

Reading Lark's Top 10

Brooke said...

Yes, Cho! Totally forgot about all her annoying personality!!!

~Brooke
http://brookesboxofbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/top-ten-tuesday-mean-girls.html

Linda (Cat) said...

@Sarah, Harry Potter for vampires? I'd never heard it described as that before. I like the concept... except I'm still getting over being sick of vampires, ha.

@Andrea, haha, everyone has Bella. Thanks for following. I'll check yours out too!

@Brooke, Yes, right! I'll check your list out too!

Shari said...

New follower here! Actually I'm Shut Up I'm Reading's mom and I just finished Divergent which was awesome!!!! We shall be sending it back to you tomorrow. Thank you SOOOOO much for letting us borrow it. You ROCK!!! Shari over at myneuroticbookaffair.blogspot.com
Oh and you know who annoys me? Ever from The Immortals series. Ugh she is just horrible annoying!

Linda (Cat) said...

Welcome to the blog! Wasn't it AMAZING!? No problem. Thanks, haha.
I've never read those books but I've heard she was annoying!